1. The Baby Boomers have arrived! There are more Americans aged 65 and up than at any other time in history.
2. The fastest growing segment of the U.S. population is age 85 and up.
3. The older we are, the more likely we are to be abused or exploited.
4. Elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation are underreported.
5. 90% of offenders are family members.
6. 50% of people aged 85 and up have some type of dementia.
7. People with dementia are more likely to experience abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
8. Elder abuse leads to increased hospitalization, increased risk of death, and increased levels of psychological distress for victims.
9. June 15 is World Elder Abuse Awareness Day!
10. Everyone can help prevent elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation.